Publications Search - Abstract View
||Constitutional promoter methylation and risk of familial melanoma.
||Hyland PL, Burke LS, Pfeiffer RM, Rotunno M, Sun D, Patil P, Wu X, Tucker MA, Goldstein AM, Yang XR
||BB, GEB, HGP, LTG
||Constitutional epigenetic changes detected in blood or non-disease involving tissues have been associated with disease susceptibility. We measured promoter methylation of CDKN2A (p16 and p14ARF) and 13 melanoma-related genes using bisulfite pyrosequencing of blood DNA from 114 cases and 122 controls in 64 melanoma-prone families (26 segregating CDKN2A germline mutations). We also obtained gene expression data for these genes using microarrays from the same blood samples. We observed that CDKN2A epimutation is rare in melanoma families, and therefore is unlikely to cause major susceptibility in families without CDKN2A mutations. Although methylation levels for most gene promoters were very low (<5%), we observed a significantly reduced promoter methylation (odds ratio = 0.63, 95% confidence interval = 0.50, 0.80, P<0.001) and increased expression (fold change = 1.27, P = 0.048) for TNFRSF10C in melanoma cases. Future research in large prospective studies using both normal and melanoma tissues is required to assess the significance of TNFRSF10C methylation and expression changes in melanoma susceptibility.